The HIGEL Story.
A man of vision and positive action, Harry Higel is credited as one of the most progressive citizens in Sarasota’s history. Harry assumed many duties and has been credited with many contributions to the Sarasota community.
Among these are: the gift of land in Sarasota for the first Methodist church, built in 1892 on the corner of Main and Pineapple streets; acted as the first agent for regular steamer service to Sarasota (the Mistletoe), and ran his own steamer (the Vandalia); helped to start the first telephone service; built the first building to be a post office and telephone exchange; served as real estate sales agent for the Florida Mortgage and Investment Company; elected as a councilman of the first council of the incorporated Town of Sarasota, recorded in 1902, with the town’s motto, “May Sarasota Prosper.”
In later years he became mayor, serving three terms; helped revive the Sarasota Yacht Club, and served as its first commodore; was one of the “good roads” supporters in the construction of better roads between Sarasota, Venice, Bee Ridge and Fruitville. Harry is laid to rest in The Rosemary Cemetery.